2 cups of all egg whites
½ cup of cooked chopped broccoli
½ cup frozen and defrosted or steamed fresh spinach
½ cup of chopped bell pepper (any colors)
3 scallions chopped finely
½ tsp. dried oregano
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
8 large fresh washed romaine leaves (or similar for “bread”)
2 Tablespoons Walden Farms zero calorie dressing of your choice
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add chopped broccoli, peppers, spinach and onions and cook until tender.
- Beat egg whites, oregano and pepper together and then pour over the veggies in the skillet.
- As the eggs begin to cook from the middle out, gently lift the edges of the egg with a spatula so that the mixture and flow out to the sides and bottom of the skillet.
- Cook until the eggs are cooked through but still moist.
- Cut the skillet into 4 even pieces.
- Place each piece on a Romaine leaf and spread lightly with dressing. Sandwich with a second leaf.
Enjoy! Makes 4 Servings!
- Serving size: 1 sandwhich
- Per Serving: 100 Calories, 1 fat, 4 g carbohydrates, 14 g proteins
1 pound of 93% or better lean ground turkey
1 cup frozen and defrosted spinach
Whites from 2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of group cumin
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of dried oregano
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
1-tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup of diced yellow onion
2-3 diced Poblano or other chili peppers (depending on how much spice you like)
6 cups of low sodium chicken broth or home made stock
½ cup of cook cauliflower rice
2 tablespoons of limejuice
2 tablespoons of water
1-2 minced jalapeños
2 tablespoons of minced cilantro
- Combine turkey, spinach, egg whites, 1 tsp. of the cumin, ½ tsp. of the ground pepper, and 1 tsp. of the oregano in a mixing bowl mixing gently until evenly combined.
- Line a large cookie or baking sheet with wax paper.
- Shape turkey mixture into small 1.5-inch balls and place on the wax paper.
- Place sheet of ready to cook meatball in the refrigerator for now (about 20 minutes)
- In a large soup pot heat the water and limejuice to medium high and add the diced yellow onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Next add the Poblano peppers and the remainder of the spices and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Now add the broth and turn the heat to high in order to bring to a boil.
- Once the broth has reached a boil take the heat down to simmer.
- Slowly and carefully spoon the meatballs into the simmering broth.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Next add in the cauliflower rice and cook stirring as needed for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and garnish with the jalapeno, cilantro, and lime slices if wanted.
Enjoy! Makes about 6 servings!
- Serving size: about 1⅔ cups
- Per serving: 250 calories 5 g fat (1.5 g sat); 7 g fiber; 12g carbohydrates; 29 g protein
Its’s not too late to get lean by Labor Day!
The GKF eating plan can get you the results you want . The best part is it is simple to follow, and allows you to “cheat” on the weekends as long as you are strict during the week !
1. Green Smoothies 1-2 times daily
2. Big Salad for Dinner. The bigger the better. Fill yourself up with all the tasty colors of summer 🙂
GKF Cobb Salad:
2 strips cooked lean/ low sodium turkey bacon crumbled
3 cups fresh washed baby spinach
3 hard boiled egg whites cubed
3-4 ounces of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast
10 grape or cherry tomatos halved
1/4 an avocado diced
1/4 cup of beet sliced
1/4 cup cucumber sliced
1/4 cup carrots shredded
Place spinach in a BIG bowl
Arrange the rest of the ingredients on top in sections or rows.
Enjoy with a low cal/ low sugar dressing
Another green and white option to fill the creamy salad bowl at your cookout!
(makes 12 servings)
24 large eggs
1 ½ cups nonfat plain greek yogurt (or non dairy substitute)
3 tablespoons of your favorite yellow or Dijon mustard
sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, paprika
6-10 chooped scallions
3-4 minced celery stalks
24 large romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
2-3 cups of sprouts
- Place all the eggs in a large sauce pan and cover them in cold water. Bring them to a boil for about 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and cover with lid.
- Let stand for 12 minutes , then drain.
- Peel the eggs and remove the yolks. Discard yolks.
- Dice the egg whites and combine with Greek yogurt and mustard.
- Stir in the scallions and celery.
- Season with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and paprika.
- Serve alone in a serving bowl or divided evenly among the lettuce leaves and roll up, top with sprouts.
Summer is heating up and so is your body! Don’t let food through you off track! Here are a couple ideas for healthy appetizers at your Holiday Weekend BBQ’s 🙂
Green and White Chicken and Zucchini Poppers
Ingredients: 2 lbs Extra Lean Chicken Breast Ground 4 cups Peel On Zucchini Grated 5-6 Chopped Scallions 6-8 tbsp Minced Cilantro 4 tbsp of Minced Garlic 2 tsp Sea Salt 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper 1 tsp Cumin Powder Non-stick cooking spray Directions:
- Mix ground chicken with zucchini, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. (mixture will be wet)
- Heat a medium sized frying pan to medium and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make heaping tablespoon sized meatballs and scoop them into the pan.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes on one side and maybe slightly less on the other side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through to the center.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop meatballs onto pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer with guacamole, salsa, or your favorite sauce for dipping.
Green and White Spinach and Artichoke Dip!
Ingredients: 1 cup raw cashews 3 cups warm water 5 garlic cloves 2 tsp sea salt 1 tsp garlic salt 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp onion powder ¼ cup nutritional yeast ¼ cup apple cider vinegar ¼ cup water ½ of a Spanish onion diced sprinkle of ground black pepper 16 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, cooked per directions on bag (can also substitute kale for spinach or go 50/50) 16 oz fresh or canned artichoke hearts, cut into quarters Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Blend the following in heavy duty blender or food processor:
-cashews – water -garlic cloves – sea salt – yeast -dash of pepper
- Blend until smooth.
- Sauté the diced onion in non-stick spray and a couple tablespoons of water.
- Once the onions are soft add ¼ cup water abd ¼ cup apple cider vinegar.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt and let simmer on low for a couple minutes.
- Pour the cooked (and drained) spinach and the cashew mixture into the onion mixture in the pan and mix.
- Next add the artichokes, garlic salt and powder, and onion powder and mix.
- Transfer into a 13×9 baking pan (or other oven safe pan depth can differ)
- Bake of 10 minutes. Remove from over and stir well. Then bake again for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Garnish with your favorite vegetables like diced tomatoes or chili peppers.
- Serve with celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, sliced peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower!
Try this delicious Green and White recipe!
Ingredients ( 2 servings):
12 shrimp (deveined and deshelled)
1 tbsp minced garlic
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
4 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon
2 tsp lemon zest
3 medium peeled zucchinis spiralized
2 cups fresh washed baby spinach
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1 sprinkle of ground black pepper
1 tbsp Olive oil
just a dusting or non-stick spray
- Cook the garlic and olive in a large lightly sprayed skillet for about 1 minute on medium heat.
- Next add the scallions and shrimp. Season with pepper flakes and black pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Once the shri
- mp are starting to sear on one side flip them and add them lemon juice and zest. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and then set shrimp aside.
- Add the zucchini noodles and baby spinach and stir for about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp back in and toss to mix.
- Plate the mixture and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Makes 2 servings.
GKF Chicken Fajitas
¾ Cup Balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 pound of bones skinless chicken breasts halved and cut into ½ inch wide stripes
1 onion sliced
1 green bell pepper sliced (or non green bell peppers are fine)
1 zucchini sliced into ½ inch by 2-3 inch strips
1 cup snow peas
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 large Romaine leaves
Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped or sliced
1 thinly sliced avocado (non recommended for weight loss clients)
Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Stir the first 6 ingredients together .
- Place the cut chicken in a large plastic bag and add ¾ cup of the vinegar mixture and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or overnight), turning occasionally.
- Place the veggies in another bag and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour in the remaining vinegar mixture.
- Heat griddle pan to medium high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Put chicken on pan an sprinkle with salt and pepper. Do not use the remaining marinade, throw away.
- Cook chicken for about 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Add veggies to pan (discard marinade) and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes. Stirring ½ way through.
- Wash and pat dry the 8 lettuce leafs, and place 2 on each plate.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the lettuce.
- Dress with jalapeno, salsa, Greek yogurt, avocado slices and cilantro.