1 pound of 93% or better lean ground turkey
1 cup frozen and defrosted spinach
Whites from 2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of group cumin
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of dried oregano
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
1-tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup of diced yellow onion
2-3 diced Poblano or other chili peppers (depending on how much spice you like)
6 cups of low sodium chicken broth or home made stock
½ cup of cook cauliflower rice
2 tablespoons of limejuice
2 tablespoons of water
1-2 minced jalapeños
2 tablespoons of minced cilantro
- Combine turkey, spinach, egg whites, 1 tsp. of the cumin, ½ tsp. of the ground pepper, and 1 tsp. of the oregano in a mixing bowl mixing gently until evenly combined.
- Line a large cookie or baking sheet with wax paper.
- Shape turkey mixture into small 1.5-inch balls and place on the wax paper.
- Place sheet of ready to cook meatball in the refrigerator for now (about 20 minutes)
- In a large soup pot heat the water and limejuice to medium high and add the diced yellow onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Next add the Poblano peppers and the remainder of the spices and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Now add the broth and turn the heat to high in order to bring to a boil.
- Once the broth has reached a boil take the heat down to simmer.
- Slowly and carefully spoon the meatballs into the simmering broth.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Next add in the cauliflower rice and cook stirring as needed for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and garnish with the jalapeno, cilantro, and lime slices if wanted.
Enjoy! Makes about 6 servings!
- Serving size: about 1⅔ cups
- Per serving: 250 calories 5 g fat (1.5 g sat); 7 g fiber; 12g carbohydrates; 29 g protein