Summer is heating up and so is your body! Don’t let food through you off track! Here are a couple ideas for healthy appetizers at your Holiday Weekend BBQ’s 🙂
Green and White Chicken and Zucchini Poppers
Ingredients: 2 lbs Extra Lean Chicken Breast Ground 4 cups Peel On Zucchini Grated 5-6 Chopped Scallions 6-8 tbsp Minced Cilantro 4 tbsp of Minced Garlic 2 tsp Sea Salt 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper 1 tsp Cumin Powder Non-stick cooking spray Directions:
- Mix ground chicken with zucchini, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. (mixture will be wet)
- Heat a medium sized frying pan to medium and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make heaping tablespoon sized meatballs and scoop them into the pan.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes on one side and maybe slightly less on the other side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through to the center.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop meatballs onto pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer with guacamole, salsa, or your favorite sauce for dipping.
Green and White Spinach and Artichoke Dip!
Ingredients: 1 cup raw cashews 3 cups warm water 5 garlic cloves 2 tsp sea salt 1 tsp garlic salt 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp onion powder ¼ cup nutritional yeast ¼ cup apple cider vinegar ¼ cup water ½ of a Spanish onion diced sprinkle of ground black pepper 16 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, cooked per directions on bag (can also substitute kale for spinach or go 50/50) 16 oz fresh or canned artichoke hearts, cut into quarters Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Blend the following in heavy duty blender or food processor:
-cashews – water -garlic cloves – sea salt – yeast -dash of pepper
- Blend until smooth.
- Sauté the diced onion in non-stick spray and a couple tablespoons of water.
- Once the onions are soft add ¼ cup water abd ¼ cup apple cider vinegar.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt and let simmer on low for a couple minutes.
- Pour the cooked (and drained) spinach and the cashew mixture into the onion mixture in the pan and mix.
- Next add the artichokes, garlic salt and powder, and onion powder and mix.
- Transfer into a 13×9 baking pan (or other oven safe pan depth can differ)
- Bake of 10 minutes. Remove from over and stir well. Then bake again for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Garnish with your favorite vegetables like diced tomatoes or chili peppers.
- Serve with celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, sliced peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower!