Its’s not too late to get lean by Labor Day!
The GKF eating plan can get you the results you want . The best part is it is simple to follow, and allows you to “cheat” on the weekends as long as you are strict during the week !
1. Green Smoothies 1-2 times daily
2. Big Salad for Dinner. The bigger the better. Fill yourself up with all the tasty colors of summer 🙂
GKF Cobb Salad:
2 strips cooked lean/ low sodium turkey bacon crumbled
3 cups fresh washed baby spinach
3 hard boiled egg whites cubed
3-4 ounces of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast
10 grape or cherry tomatos halved
1/4 an avocado diced
1/4 cup of beet sliced
1/4 cup cucumber sliced
1/4 cup carrots shredded
Place spinach in a BIG bowl
Arrange the rest of the ingredients on top in sections or rows.
Enjoy with a low cal/ low sugar dressing
Summer is heating up and so is your body! Don’t let food through you off track! Here are a couple ideas for healthy appetizers at your Holiday Weekend BBQ’s 🙂
Green and White Chicken and Zucchini Poppers
Ingredients: 2 lbs Extra Lean Chicken Breast Ground 4 cups Peel On Zucchini Grated 5-6 Chopped Scallions 6-8 tbsp Minced Cilantro 4 tbsp of Minced Garlic 2 tsp Sea Salt 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper 1 tsp Cumin Powder Non-stick cooking spray Directions:
- Mix ground chicken with zucchini, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. (mixture will be wet)
- Heat a medium sized frying pan to medium and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make heaping tablespoon sized meatballs and scoop them into the pan.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes on one side and maybe slightly less on the other side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through to the center.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop meatballs onto pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer with guacamole, salsa, or your favorite sauce for dipping.
Green and White Spinach and Artichoke Dip!
Ingredients: 1 cup raw cashews 3 cups warm water 5 garlic cloves 2 tsp sea salt 1 tsp garlic salt 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp onion powder ¼ cup nutritional yeast ¼ cup apple cider vinegar ¼ cup water ½ of a Spanish onion diced sprinkle of ground black pepper 16 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, cooked per directions on bag (can also substitute kale for spinach or go 50/50) 16 oz fresh or canned artichoke hearts, cut into quarters Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Blend the following in heavy duty blender or food processor:
-cashews – water -garlic cloves – sea salt – yeast -dash of pepper
- Blend until smooth.
- Sauté the diced onion in non-stick spray and a couple tablespoons of water.
- Once the onions are soft add ¼ cup water abd ¼ cup apple cider vinegar.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt and let simmer on low for a couple minutes.
- Pour the cooked (and drained) spinach and the cashew mixture into the onion mixture in the pan and mix.
- Next add the artichokes, garlic salt and powder, and onion powder and mix.
- Transfer into a 13×9 baking pan (or other oven safe pan depth can differ)
- Bake of 10 minutes. Remove from over and stir well. Then bake again for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Garnish with your favorite vegetables like diced tomatoes or chili peppers.
- Serve with celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, sliced peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower!
GKF Chicken Fajitas
¾ Cup Balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 pound of bones skinless chicken breasts halved and cut into ½ inch wide stripes
1 onion sliced
1 green bell pepper sliced (or non green bell peppers are fine)
1 zucchini sliced into ½ inch by 2-3 inch strips
1 cup snow peas
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 large Romaine leaves
Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped or sliced
1 thinly sliced avocado (non recommended for weight loss clients)
Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Stir the first 6 ingredients together .
- Place the cut chicken in a large plastic bag and add ¾ cup of the vinegar mixture and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or overnight), turning occasionally.
- Place the veggies in another bag and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour in the remaining vinegar mixture.
- Heat griddle pan to medium high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Put chicken on pan an sprinkle with salt and pepper. Do not use the remaining marinade, throw away.
- Cook chicken for about 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Add veggies to pan (discard marinade) and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes. Stirring ½ way through.
- Wash and pat dry the 8 lettuce leafs, and place 2 on each plate.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the lettuce.
- Dress with jalapeno, salsa, Greek yogurt, avocado slices and cilantro.